Thursday 2 February 2012

Moving Along With The Times - DT Card 'Have A Heart'

Wow! I can't believe we are now into February!! The weeks are just flying by... and as it's Thursday again - time for another Challenge over at


This week our lovely Debs is the hostess and has chosen the fab theme of

'Have a Heart'

So we want to see Hearts on your creations. What a wonderful theme with Valentines approaching! It doesn't have to be a card. You could make an altered item, tag, gift box etc. As long as it follows the heart theme. It could be a heart-shaped card (now why didn't I think of that LOL)


I have gone very Less is More this week and kept my card quite clean and simple. We were very kindly given some fab images to play with by our Sponsor Stitchy Bear Digital Stamps. I decided to use this lovely heart wreath image. I've resized the image to fit my card blank, coloured it digitally and created the border at the same time. Then added the lovely 'Kay Knudsen' Quotation that I found on the internet. When everything was done, it was just a case of printing the whole thing out and sticking onto the card blank.


First of all I digitally coloured the leaves and then saved the image. Then I used a new technique for me - digital paper-piecing! There are a few ways to do this but this is the method I used on my Mac.  In my image editing software I made all the hearts 'see through' by using the Alpha Setting. 

Then I used some 'Fleurs' digital papers that were freebies from Bearly Mine Designs. I chose these because they looked like patchwork? So made the squares of paper really small and put them behind each see-through heart. 

If anyone has not tried this before and is interested in having a go....this is a Tutorial for Digital Paper-Piecing done on Windows. It is similar technique to mine but keeping the paper to scale and using layers, so might take a bit longer to do. 

To add some Pizzazz I have added diamante crystals randomly with a glue pen. It was quite a simple card to make but I love how it came out!! As always it looks nicer in real life as it really sparkles!! 

We are sponsored this week by the fabulous Stitchy Bear Digital Stamps. They are kindly offering the  Winner - a  $10 Voucher to Spend in their Store!! I really do love Stitchy. If I'm ever stuck for an image for a specific theme, I can always be sure they will have something to fit!


I do hope you can hop on over to MAWTT for more details of the Challenge and to look at my Teamies wonderful 'heart' cards! :-)

Don't forget to check whether you are a winner if you entered last week. We had so many gorgeous entries and they were all stunning to look at!! It really did make commenting a joy to do!!

It's SO cold here in Manchester!!! gonna dig my thermals out tomorrow!!

But... the sun came out today!! Open-mouth smile Yippe ay Yay!!! but it showed up all the dust in my room!! Sad smile

Ah well back to my card...

I would like to enter this card into the following Challenges:-


Totally Gorjuss - Challenge 116 - 'Keep it Simple Silly' ends 3rd February 2012
One Stitch At a Time - Challenge 98 - 'Use a Digi' ends 4th February 2012
Paper Sundaes - Challenge 105 - 'Valentines' ends 4th February 2012
The Crafty Pad 'Show Some Valentines/Anniversary Love' ends 4th February 2012
Stamptacular Sunday - Challenge 149 - 'Diamonds or Pearls' ends 4th February 2012
Tuesday Throwdown - Challenge 83 - 'Use Hearts' ends 6th February 2012 
Fab'n Funky - Challenge 106 - 'Use a Digi Image' ends 7th February 2012
Stamps R Us - 'Valentines/Love' ends 13th February 2012
Top Tip Tuesday - Challenge 69  - 'Valentine's' ends 13th February 2012

Hope you are all well...Stay warm and snug!
Love n Hugs!
Sue xxx

42 comments:

Always with a Sentiment said...

Hello Sue. This is so beautiful and very delicate. I love the colours and design.
Happy crafting.
Lots of love, Sandra xxx

Hazel (Didos) said...

Mmm thats the thing with the sun it shows the dust!!!Grrrr!!!
Love your card its so clever doing the digital stuff, I really wouldnt have a clue where to start!
Love HAzelxo

chrissy xx said...

Just Fabulous! LOve your colours Sue! LOve the design! LOve everything.
Chrissyxx
Get your thermals on now lol...I have he! he!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Gorgeous card hun, love the sentiment!
Hope ya keeping warm brrrr its brass monkeys in Stoke today!
Hugs Shell xx

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow this is pretty.. and how clever using all those digital techniques !
It would make a lovely wall hanging
Lisa x

Doreen said...

This is gorgeous Sue,love the sentiment.xxx

Crafting Belle said...

I love CAS card and yours is fabulous. Lisa xxx

Debs said...

WOW WOW WOW Sue I love your card and such fabulous techniques - so impressive :o)
The sentiment is beautiful too.
Keep warm and cosy.
Take care
Debs xx

meg said...

Beautiful card Sue the sntiment is just perfect for couples apart at any time not just valentines. Love the card. Hope you are having a good day,hugs Meg

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Love this Sue it looks like the sentiment was made to go inside the wreath! You're very clever colouring and paper piecing on your pc I wouldn't even like to attempt it. I can only really do basic stuff and don't seem to find time to sit down and learn it! Hope you are well and enjoying the sunshine - its nice and sunny here in Blackpool too hugs Susan xx

CraftyC said...

Love your card Sue though what you described was a foreign languauge to me. I'm a technpphobe but would so love to learn. Had a mac for last 4 years and hubby bought me a new windows 7 for xmas so now I have both!!
Clairex

Lily Anuska said...

Sue, this is very beautiful. The colors are very calming, I like them. You chose a very nice sentiment, and this digital paper- piecing seems so complex. Have a great day. Lily Anuska

Unknown said...

This is sheer elegance Sue, love your paper piecing, you did a fab job at that technique, love the soft tones and that beautiful quote... It's oh so true! Stay warm! I am right now, since I'm enjoying a glass of red at the moment ;-) I was THAT cold! Big hugs, Ira xox

Kathy and Lucky said...

This is lovely, such a great image and card. Thanks for joining us at Stamps R Us.

Jo said...

Hi Sue, this is lovely, so pretty and fab colours. Soooo cold here today, too, but no sunshine.
Hope you're keeping well and having a great week.
Hugs Jo x

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous digital creation Sue, digital paper-piecing sounds fun and looks great.
Take care.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

DesignerDiva said...

Oh Sue this card is so elegant and stylish, I loved it as soon as I set eyes on it and the colours are just perfect Hunny! really classy!
I hope you warmed up a bit, it was completely white when I woke up this morning but the sun shone all afternoon, I guess it was a perfect fresh crisp day but - bloody cold!
Hugs Laurie xx

Claire said...

WOW Sue such a pretty card, love the design and the sentiment is just fabulous. Hugs, Claire x

Pami said...

Blimey Sue, digital colouring in!!?? How clever are you, very impressed! I loved this card when I first saw it, I really love the colours. Hope you are staying warm and cozy! P x

Anonymous said...

Great job! sue! love seeing your card and love the digital colouring too! Glad you could join us at Totally Gorjuss this week, see you soon! hugs Samantha :0)

Fabulous card for your Valentine challenge and Top Tip Tuesday too! hugs me x

Cheryl said...

Hi Sue, I adore your card today, it's so beautiful. Thanks for the link on the tutorial too, I'm going to check it out.
Thank you so much for all the lovely comments you leave me when you visit, It truly makes my day.
Big Hugs Cheryl

Donna Mosley said...

WOW!!! Sue, this is gorgeous. Love the design and all the digital stuff looks so amazing. I'm well impressed hun.

Donna x

xxxtglxxx said...

What a lovely, inspirational and gorgeous card hun! :) Beautiful poem, image and colours. Love the simplicity and elegance of it.

hugs

xxalisonxx

Ginny said...

fab card, thanks for joining us at FnF :D

Kreatives von Andrea said...

Wunder,wunderschön, was für ein tolles Motiv und welch fantastische Karte, ich bin total begeistert..

Hugs Andrea

Jules said...

Oh Sue!!!

I love, love, love this .. .. very, very much!!

What a fabby image.

It would work great for Christmas too done in traditional red and greens!!

Love Jules xx

coops said...

beautiful card sue.the verse is stunning and i love the hearts and delicate colours ;D

xx coops xx

angelwhispers said...

Beautiful and just love the green so perfect! Chanelle xxx

Kelly said...

Sooo pretty Thanks for joining us at OSAAT this week xx

Leanne said...

Wow this is gorgeous!

Thank you for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday! Hope to see you again!

Remember, you can enter 3 creations and 3 tips - 6 chances for prizes!!

Hugs
Leanne
Owner of Top Tip Tuesday
xx

sara said...

gorgeous card love that verse thanks so much for joining us at paper sundaes this week
hugs sara x

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this Sue! FABULOUS!
xx

Shannon White said...

Oh Wow Sue! This is So Pretty! 8-) I love the heart Wreath and the Wonderful sentiment! And Wowzers, you digitally colored it and paper pieced it too! How Cool is that! I need to learn how to do that! 8-) Just a Lovely card Lady! Hope you stay cozy and warm! 8-)

Big Hugs
Shannon

Delphine said...

Well I love you going very Less Is More too, Sue!! Your image and beautiful sentiment need nothing more! Hugs Delphine xx

~♥~The Navy Wife~♥~ said...

Sue this is just gorgeous! I love your paper piercing, the papers are so soft and romantic. Thank you for playing with us at The Crafty Pad and that you again for having me along on the MAWTT team this month :)

Annette said...

Sue this is lovely. So simple and effective. Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday this week. Annette xx

Emma H said...

Lovely card, so delicate and pretty! Thanks for playing along with Fab N Funky this week!
(thanks for the how to on digital paper piecing, haven't tried that yet!)

Davi said...

This is quite the wonderful card!! Love the pretty heart circle and lovely saying. Thanks for sharing with us at TT this week ;)

Unknown said...

Wonderful card! Terrific image well done. Thanks for joining in on the Tuesday Throwdown this week.

Ally said...

I love this card, and the sentiment is fantastic...
Warm hugs, Alessandra
PS: In our castle with servants there it will be cosy and warm during these cold days... hee hee

cotnob said...

I nearly missed this one Sue, it's gorgeous. I love that image and what you did with it. Your colour choice is perfect along with the lovely quotation.
Pauline
x

TLC DESIGNS, LLC said...

This is such a beautiful creation! I love the colors and your design is beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday this time and good luck! Be sure to join us again tomorrow for the mystical challenge too!
Hugs,
Tammy Louise